Why Virginia Beach is the Perfect Place to Raise a Family
When you have a family, it's crucial to find the right environment to raise them in. Virginia Beach, Virginia might be on your list of potential places to move to, but is it a suitable location for raising a family?
Virginia Beach, Virginia is a good location to raise a family. The city boasts top-notch schools and family-friendly activities. However, housing prices in the city are higher than in other cities in Hampton Roads. Additionally, the city can become congested with tourists during the summer.
Keep reading on as we discuss the schools, the pros and cons of living in Virginia Beach, and the many different entertainment options in the city.
The Virginia Beach School System
Virginia Beach, Virginia, is known for its highly-rated school system. The system is one of the top-rated systems in Virginia, as it was ranked 7th of 131 Virginia School Districts. This is a remarkable statistic when finding a city to raise your family.
The school system serves over 65,000 students yearly and has a solid teacher-to-student ratio of 15:1. The city boasts a graduation rate of 91% and 78% of students with reading proficiency. The amount of students that show proficiency in math is lower at 69%. The school system is well known for its diversity, similar to the overall rankings; Virginia Beach is ranked 8th out of 131 school districts for diversity.
The Virginia Beach school system has many high-performing schools. The High School with the highest rating out of 11 public high schools in the city, is Kellam High School. This school was ranked 19th of 325 ranked high schools in Virginia. There are 13 middle schools in Virginia Beach, that serve students in grades 6-8th. The highest-rated middle school, according to Niche.com, is Old Donation School. This is a gifted school and is ranked 1st of 415 middle schools. The city of Virginia Beach has 55 elementary schools, which serve grades K-5. The highest-ranked elementary school is North Landing Elementary, in the southern portion of the city, it's ranked 5th of 1,109 schools.
Pros And Cons Of Virginia Beach Virginia
Pros of Virginia Beach
- Beaches- Virginia Beach is a popular tourist destination on the East Coast. That is due in part to the beautiful beaches the city has. There are beaches along the Atlantic Ocean as well as the Chesapeake Bay.
- Weather- The weather in Virginia Beach is primarily pleasant year-round. During the summer months, the temperature averages 79 degrees. While in the Winter months, the average temperature is 57 degrees.
- Entertainment- Besides the beaches, there are many other entertainment options in the city. A popular spot would be, Veteran's United Loans Amphitheater, where many national acts perform throughout the year. The city has many public parks, golf courses, and events year-round if you enjoy outside activities.
Cons of Virginia Beach
- Tourists-As previously discussed, the city has many great options for individuals alike. The beaches tend to draw many tourists during the summer months. This can cause headaches with overcrowding at the oceanfront during this time. During 2022, tourism brought in over $30 billion for Virginia Beah.
- Cost of Living- Housing price averages in the city are more expensive than in the surrounding cities. The median sales price in April of 2023 was $370,000. In comparison, the average rent for a 3 bedroom is $2,200.
- Traffic- The city has several military installations, the largest being NAS Oceana. These military bases employ thousands of people in the city. Therefore, traffic in the city can be challenging, especially during rush hour timeframes.
Family Entertainment Options in Virginia Beach, Virginia
There are plenty of fun things for families to do in Virginia Beach. Here are some of them:
- Go on a Fishing Charter
- Go to an Escape Room
- Go on a Kayak Nature Tour
- Visit the Cape Henry Lighthouse
- Go Indoor Skydiving
- Go to the Aquarium
- Got to One of the Many Parks in the City
- Go Horseback Riding
- Go Ziplining
- Go to the Boardwalk
- Go to Jungle Golf
- Visit Hunt Club Farm
Many of these activities are free or relatively affordable, even when you take multiple people. The entertainment opportunities that you choose to take part in will vary depending on your budget and how much time you have to spend doing each activity.
Because there are so many things to do in Virginia Beach, Virginia, even if you live in the city for many years, you will likely never get bored, especially because new restaurants and attractions come to the city every year. This city is especially great for people interested in history and love going to the beach regularly.
Opinions of Virginia Beach Residents
Most people enjoy living in Virginia Beach, Virginia. They like the fact that the city is quite large and has many lakes, rivers, and nature throughout. As discussed there are some things like traffic, higher costs, and tourism that could be considered negatives.
However, many people still find that the benefits outweigh the negative aspects of living in Virginia Beach. Many residents enjoy living close to the water and enjoying the great beaches. Even though the beaches get incredibly crowded during the summer, you and your family can have a great time!
Overall, Virginia Beach, Virginia is an excellent place to raise your family. There are plenty of things to do year-round, you will almost always be close to the beach, and the weather is pleasant for most of the year, although it can get chilly during the winter.
CLICK ANY OF THE BUTTONS BELOW TO SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA OR PRINT OUT IF YOU NEED TO.
YOUR LOCAL REALTOR
DJ Parker is your local Realtor and guide to Hampton Roads, Virginia. As a native of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, Virginia for over 30 years, he has the local knowledge you need. He has helped clients with Real Estate throughout Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Suffolk and all of Hampton Roads Virginia.